Search This Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2007

working dog

My repsponse to a woman denied access to hospital ER due to her having service dog with her for invisible disability.


good for you. You need to get documentation for your dog taht it is indeed a service animal. It is a process but can be done. Just takes time. Need doctor note stating dog is needed for your health. You need to have dog trained and proof of training for service dog.

REcognizable tags on color are important too. It is noone's business why you have one. Anything mental is stigmatized by those who are ignorant. Regardless it is your job to advocate and educate those around you. Also you need to stand your ground.

You can call the news paper and say this happened to you. Good you contacted the manager of clinic. It is often the policy however of such places to not tolerate animals as some are allergic or afraid. They have to allow by law (ADA) these documented animals into the facility tho as they are not pets but essential working therapeutic animals designed and trained to accomadate the disabled person's needs. They are essentail for the well being of said individual to function.

I am sure you felt disrespected and unheard. Staff ws looking to control situation as they felt others would bring pets in.

Again if you can get this necessary documentation and have it on you as well as tags for pet they have to allow you. You can also after you get the necessary materials I have stated, call said clinic and ask to speak to manager. He/she will probably be busy and not want to be bothered but if this is the case then you can contact your local Disability office such as a SILC, Independant Living Center. They will not do this for you but they will tell you how to proceed. Such actoins will be empoering for you as they give you a VOICE. Many with disabilities are silent victims dependent on others who often abuse them as they don't want to take care of them. Some are physically crippled but not in the mind. Others are in the reverse but either way we do have a voice and there are many like us. CAll or write your local NAMI, National Association for the Mentally Ill and ask how to proceed. The more people you call and have on your side and valid documentation is in your favor

Perhaps after you, you will set a precedent case at that clinic for future people with hidden disabiilies to bring their service animals without a problem. you will make the road easier for another fighting against many closed minds and hearts in the cold medical profession. Many have to be detached to fnction in it yes but they don't have to treat everyone the same nor with disrespect and callousness. They pushed you aside and said if you want the service as was urgent to comply.

I have advocated well for me my whole life against bullies and many but I get my way as is the fair things to do. As long as am honest,respectful and stick to guns it works. Patience and persistance. Don't give up or in. Come at them in every direction like a fighter. You will exhaust them. Be smart and beat them at their own game. It is fun. If you do not find satisfaction in one place go over their heads or get it some where else buty get it.

My therapist wouldn't let me in office with my dog due to rules there. She would not sign a note I need either to say I need pet. My brain injury advocate wouldn't either. My last note was written by Dr from Occupational health as I hurt myspine too on job.

I too need the necessary documentation. Can so much relate. Keep fighting the good fight for all of us here. We have abiliteis as well as disabilities. May we use them to do waht is necessary for not just our survival but for us to live Good lives. Get involved in legislation and support social programs and speak up for disability rights. You help another and you. It takes one to know one,it takes one to help one.

" I can't do everything but I can do something. Let me then do the one thing i can do." -Helen Keller

p.s. Bravo my friend I am so proud of you !!

No comments:

Raise Mental Health Awareness Today (May=Mental Health Month)

Raise Mental Health Awareness Today (May=Mental Health Month)
Why are there no runs for Mental Health?!

Me..

Me..
Blog Author

landscape painting

landscape painting
by Stanley Maltzman,(great art teacher. I studied with him.)

My water color painting

My water color painting
"Cows" (Click link to see more of my ART!)

Henry Hudson River

Henry Hudson River
Quadricentennial

Me

Me
on the couch..Yeh, who doesn't need therapy?!

Mail me FREE stuff to Review!

Mail me FREE stuff to Review!
Clue: it better be healthy! Yes I write FREE! reviews if I like the product and it's GREEn!

New Book on China

New Book on China
Buy American Please!

save

save
pets